Knitting vs. Anxiety?

Tuesday, 12 January 2016

Hello, everyone! I started knitting in November and suddenly I find myself with a new hobby and spend loads of money on yarns.

One thing that I noticed with knitting was how my anxiety reacted to it, recently I had so many anxiety attacks and usually I’m really good at hiding them, I just go to the bathroom I’ll do some breathing exercises and focus on something completely different and in a matter of 5-10 minutes I’m ready to take on the world again.
cats

However, in the past months, with my knitting projects, I noticed that my anxiety was still there but not on the spotlight as often. So after researching the benefits of knitting, I came across some conclusions that I can relate with.

It gives you a sense of pride!
So true! When my mom taught me the knitting basics I was so frustrated! All I said was “This is so hard! I’ll never be able to do this!” and that being said, kudos to my brother that immediately told me that he wanted a Ravenclaw scarf from the Harry Potter movie. So after a few videos on YouTube and a LOT of practice, I started this huge scarf. When I finished it, me, my brother and husband looked at it like it was magic! I felt so proud of myself, it will always be my first big project :)

Knitting can be so relaxing!
A lot of simple projects can be very repetitive and with that you can simply zone out and enjoy little things. For me, there’s nothing better that knitting and watch Sherlock’s Series on Netflix.

Bye bye stress!
I consider myself a stressful person, which is logic because I have anxiety, stress and anxiety are like mean lovers, so the rhythmic motions and sense of focus that knitting requires can help distract from symptoms of anxiety and stress.
craft

And that's it! I really love this new hobby, it has developed my creativity and brought a lot of benefits to my mental health.

Do you have any therapeutic hobbies? Let me know in the comments below :)


33 comments :

  1. Ajuda muito sem dúvida e quem está a tua volta fica quentiho!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that way about quilting. I am always my most calm when I am working on a quilt. It's something about picturing it in my head, finished; it's like my brain is busy with that and then it can't get anxious. I admire knitters, it's not a craft my hands are good at!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I'm so glad you have found something to help. I love baking, it helps me relax x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on finding a new hobby! I love knitting and crocheting and find it really relaxing and as you said when you complete something it feels great! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you found a hobby that is helping you. I started knitting a couple of weeks ago. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time but I thought it would be too difficult, but I'm really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a friend with really severe anxiety and she finds that crocheting helps her control hers. Glad you found something that helps you anxiety is awful to get under control

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blogging, I started writing to deal with anxiety. I am happy it has been helping you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you found a new hobby! It's also great that it helps you deal with your anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find writing my blog helps me the same as knitting does for you. its nice to have some 'me' time

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great outlet that seems to be! I'm so glad it's helping with the anxiety. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think its great! Some of the best gifts I've ever received have been handmade. I tried my attempt at crocheting a blanket for my first born but I couldn't get it right, it was longer on one end than the other the knots where tighter in certain spots than others and it created pockets....I was horrible at it. But I always marvel at seeing a great piece of work done because I know how much time and love goes into them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like to clean when I need to relax or when I am stressed. So if I have a clean house dont mess with me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted to learn how to knit. I have heard such great things about it. Thanks for breaking down the advantages like this, gives me more incentive to just dive in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never tried knitting before, but I've heard it really helps calm people. I definitely think it's effective against anxiety!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to try this. I actually signed up for an online class, but never got around to learning. It would be a great no-tech time filler.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have not attempted to knit since we were forced to do it in textiles lol but I have heard that it is very therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not ashamed to say that years back I have tried crocheting and cross-stitching (now I don't know whether I can still produce an output. Haha!). Enjoying a hobby like this really helps a person to stay relaxed and at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish I had learned to knit, maybe some day. It sounds so relaxing x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think we all need these kinds of hobbies to relieve stress.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i learned knitting quite a few years ago and found it very therapeutic and relaxing it is a great hobby

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am glad that you have fond something that helps you or reduces the number of anxiety attacks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want to start crocheting again. I learned the craft in high school but raising kids, running a household, doing a full time job and another part time job has left me little time to indulge in a therapeutic hobby. I will start to buy some materials and collect patterns. That may motivate me to start.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I tried knitting MANY years ago, and couldn't seem to get the knack. However, I do crochet, sew, and quilt. Definitely therapeutic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Crocheting was really fun, I'm so thankful that I can do crochet. When I was 12 years old, I do it a lot, I do it as my hobby. But now I thought that I can still do crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I never got the hang of knitting but crochet. I do find it calming puts your mind focused on one thing. Always loved seeing the progress

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree on that "Knitting is relaxing"

    ReplyDelete
  27. I used to crochet but I've been so busy recently! i really need to get back into it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I wish and I hope to learn this kind of activities as a WAHM. Such a great activity for anxiety,and for sure so relaxing too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I remember my Mom trying to teach me how to knit. I wish i would have started knitting back then. I just started knitting again last year. I made scarves for the kids. I am making a blanket now and it does help me relax.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good to know you found another outlet that helps with your anxiety

    ReplyDelete
  31. I felt the same way when I started crocheting. I have never tried to knit before.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've found painting and drawing to be really relaxing, I think because I usually draw what I see, i have to concentrate on the moment and it's the only thing that stops the wandering thoughts. I love reading too but if I'm anxious I get really distracted and can't get into the book.

    Hannah

    www.thewerefox.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Free Blogger Design Made By The Dutch Lady Designs